Final Motion as Adopted
Therefore be it resolved:
1. Council directs Administration to:
a. Officially request all bargaining units to consider 2020 wage reductions in exchange for minimizing staff impacts as a result of 2020 budget reductions and report back directly to Council as soon as possible.
b. Pending the results of the above, to bring forward recommendations to Council on exempt staff compensation adjustments.
c. Define what the Provincial ask would be to alter current and pending Union contracts no later than December 2019. And further, that Mayor Nenshi make that request on behalf of City Council.
2. Council reconsiders its decision on January 14, 2019 (Council Member Remuneration Calculation - C2019-0058). This reconsideration pertains to Council compensation for the 2020 calendar year only. C2019-0058 will otherwise remain in force, and the independent citizen committee is to continue its work and prepare a recommendation for Council. 2020 Council compensation will be determined as follows, without a further vote:
a. In the event that compensation reductions are achieved with bargaining units, Council will automatically match the most severe reduction in their base pay.
b. In the event that compensation reductions are not achieved with bargaining units:
- If the change in average Alberta weekly earnings is an increase, Council will forego any increase and adopt a freeze for 2020.
- If the change in average Alberta weekly earnings is a decrease, Council will adopt that decrease.
3. Council directs Administration to
a. Prepare a legal analysis assessing the viability of introducing mandatory wage rollbacks; and
b. Prepare a summary of current provincial action, legislation, and efforts toward restraining public sector compensation, with a focus on applicability to the municipal context, and report back to Council as soon as possible.
4. Council directs Administration to assist Council in engaging the provincial government on potential legislative changes to exempt municipalities from successorship under the Labour Relations Code.
Amend Whereas #7 by inserting the words "private and public" after the word "exempt".
And further, that Council file for the Corporate Record:
- City of Calgary Wage Contract Reconsideration (2020) & City Council Remuneration for 2019-2020 from PFC2019-1397;
- Restraint in Public Sector Compensation During Hard Economic Times from PFC2019-1397; and
- Preserving Positions Through Adjustments to City of Calgary Compensation from Nov. 18 Council Agenda, PFC2019-1397.